Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Take it With You

After the Dance 2
ACEO Original Colored Pencil Drawing
2.5 x 3.5"
SOLD



When I made the decision to do a daily (or pretty darn near daily) drawing, I knew that the art card size would be perfect for a colored pencil drawing. Since most of my drawings are strong on realism, I can spend quite a bit of time on one piece. But the art card size (2.5 x 3.5") lets me finish a drawing I'm happy with in about an hour.



I also soon realized that working on a drawing this size is perfect to do while waiting somewhere. In my case: orthodontist office, piano lesson, math tutoring, soccer practice, etc. So, I came up with a very small "kit" that I carry with me all the time.



Pretty simple since I start most of my drawings with a grisaille underpainting, I only pack gray and black pencils. I also toss in a small sharpener, an eraser, Bristol board paper precut to the standard 2.5 x 3.5" size and a selection of reference photos to work from. I keep the paper and photos in a small zip lock to keep them clean. It all fits in one of the newer Prismacolor tins.

Having this kit in my usually way-too-big purse keeps me drawing all the time since I have no excuses. Now if Cameron could just drive himself to all of those appointments, I could draw in the car, too.

Nah, I get carsick.



1 comment:

Quilt knit said...

Wow! How I have always looked forward to being driven and not being the driver. I am still waiting even in Boston. Roads here are pathetic. I do continue to sketch. My carry all box is a little larger.

((Circle of Hugs))

Sherrie