Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bolivian Lady WIP - 3rd Post

Bolivian Lady - Stage 7

Bolivian Lady - Stage 8

Bolivian Lady - Stage 9

Ooooh, I wish I were one of those artists who could work across a drawing from left to right and finish a section at a time, knowing I had nailed the values, contrast and color right from the start. But alas, I work all over the page building and glazing layer upon layer of color until I know the piece is finished.
This explains how, in this post, the changes you see are very, very subtle (look closely at the background and the lady's left shoulder). I usually have a vague idea of my background and develop that along with the piece - this one is begging to be darker and will be - but it can determine, and change, my focal subject in subtle ways as well.
Since I work from light to dark, I have always struggled to get my darkest darks right away. I usually seem to slowly coax them out along with the background.
I am hoping to have this piece done by next week, but I also r-e-a-l-l-y need a break from it and plan to work on the Virtual Sketch Date drawing, too, which I will post before next weekend.

6 comments:

hbedrosian said...

Looks like this will be an award winner to me!

Stacy said...

This is looking great Rhonda! I love watching it develop.

Ann said...

It is stunning! I'm looking forward to the finish.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhonda- I haven't visited your blog in a long time and I can see I've missed alot. Your work is just sensational! This piece is gorgeous, especially the sunlight on her face, how beautiful. And the portrait of the girl with blonde hair is so sweet. You did a great job on her smile, not too toothy, which can easily happen. And those commissions! I'm sure the recipient enjoys them. I'll have to try that black gesso and cp. Also, and most important, the orphanage. I sponsor a little girl in Bolivia thru World Vision and I would so love to be with you on your trip. What a wonderful opportunity to help children truly in need. I love to see your pictures there.
Your work is so beautiful. This time I won't stay away so long.

Fito said...

Hello beautiful Rhonda!! te doy un gran saludo estoy viendo tu eccelente arte, bellos tomatoes que has ilustrado, Fito

Anonymous said...

That's absolutely stunning - I have no idea how you've got the patience! I'm not surprised you need a break from it. In any case, it looks finished to me!

I think working on the page as a whole is absolutely the way to go - working from one side to the other just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I love this anyway - the light is just beautiful and so soft and delicate. You've even got the reflected light so perfectly too.