Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My First Article - Ever!

"Blue Lucidity"
10.5 x 8"
colored pencil on three layers of Mylar

"Green Glass"
10.5 x 8"
colored pencil on three layers of Mylar



At the beginning of every year I make a list. I hate New Year's resolutions; they just seem like more "rules" for me to follow and I hate those. No, it's a list of personal and professional goals for the upcoming year. Somehow, if I write them down, they begin to become a little more real, a little more attainable. Maybe I just see them as more than dreams because I've committed them to paper and so made them separate from my imagination.

One of my goals for last year was to be in a magazine. Just that; no specifics. Guess what? It happened. This month I have an article in "From My Perspective", an e-zine, where I give step by step instructions on how I drew "Green Glass".


Ann Kullberg, a very talented colored pencil artist, book author and magazine publisher contacted me about showing "Blue Lucidity" in her magazine. But when I told her that it was on three separate layers of Dura-Lar Mylar, she asked if I would do the step-by-step article. How scared was I?! But, what the heck, you have to jump and give any great opportunity a try.


I have to thank Ann for the wonderful platform for me to jump from and her encouragement about my artwork and my writing (the last thing most artists want to do!) . Thanks so much, Ann!


Her magazine and web-site also offer video instruction classes, drawing how-to kits, the e-zine subscription (get it now so you can see my article!), and HUGE discounts on Prismacolor pencil sets.


I am always amazed at how many of my goals I actually achieve at the end of each year. Currently, I am pre-thinking (that's really daydreaming) my list for 2008. When I really get ready to write it all down, I go to a quiet coffee shop, order my huge Mocha coffee, and commit these dreams to paper. Then the magic starts.

5 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

Congratulations, Rhonda!!! That is wonderful news and well deserved ~ :)

Happy New Year!

Serena Lewis said...

Ooooops....I meant to add that both pieces are stunning and so realistis!

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

Thanks, Serena! Happy New Year!

Quilt knit said...

Fantastic! I will read the magazine this Friday night.
happy New Year!

Sherrie

Jo Castillo said...

Congratulations. Beautiful work.