Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Phase 4 - Teddy and Me

The reference photos I am using for the work are of my youngest son, who, as I told you in a previous post, is much older now (about 2 years). But I've been thinking about this while working on the drawing and looking at his face; he has changed a lot. He recently had another birthday and suddenly, he is not a little boy anymore, but a big boy. I'm not sure exactly what that means, other than he is more aware of his world, his limbs are longer, he is learning so quickly, and he seems to need me less.
I have been a mother for almost 30 years now and it seems I have always taken care of a little person. I'm beginning to see that that phase of my life is winding down which causes me some sadness but also a mixture of excitment and curiousity about what's up next for me.
I'm sure there's much in store for me to become and do, but none of it will be as challenging, fulfilling, heartbreaking or as rewarding as raising a child. What a ride!

1 comment:

Maggie Stiefvater said...

I laughed when I read your son's response to you doing this piece. That's why I paint my cats, see, they can't complain like my kids would. ;)