Friday, February 27, 2009

New Directions?


"On the Vine"
oil painting
5 x 7"

Last weekend, my husband gave me a wonderful gift of time alone.  I checked into a local hotel for two days and a night to be silent and think.  I took along my laptop, many books, notebooks, some sketching and a couple of pairs of sweatpants.  It was delicious.

During that time, I planned my goals for the upcoming year, broke them down into projects, wrote my mission statement, planned some directions for my work and just generally was able to focus on my work.

One of the goals I've decided upon is to go back to oil painting - not exclusively, I WILL continue with my colored pencil drawings - but as an addition to.  Every Friday, barring schedule interruptions, I plan to paint.  Painting and drawing for me are very, very different.  I am very slow and methodical in the way I draw - it can take months for one drawing.  However, the way I learned to paint was in school and from life; therefore, my style is very quick and loose.  I like both ways of working.

Today was my first "painting" day and I was amazed that I could still ride that horse - albeit a bit rusty, but I wasn't too disappointed in what I produced.  But I'll let you tell me what you think.

I decided to paint from a reference photo I was currently using for a colored pencil drawing on which I had spent a couple of hours.  The painting took the same amount of time.  The drawing isn't done; the painting is signed.  You can see the results below.

It seems to me that it can be good for my growth as an artist to allow myself to explore, create and enjoy the process.  I hope that doing both painting and drawing will complement each other and allow me to grow as an artist.

6 comments:

Ann said...

It takes a lot of courage to break out of the familiar and explore new territory. I am sure you will find the two media complement each other and help you expand in both. Very nice painting too!

Lorraine said...

I think it is about the enjoyment we get. I think the oil painting is great. but it is only great it you had a good time doing it. We need to please ourselfs first.

Belinda Lindhardt said...

Wow What a fabulous gift :) Congratulations :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, and you've made it look effortless somehow - you should definitely do more oils. :-)

Teresa Mallen said...

You certainly haven't lost ability to work in oil! I like how you kept control of all the colours you used in the tomatoes - yielding a beautiful result. Congratulations on taking the time to consider your artistic process and your artistic journey. I wish you all the best with your new goals!!

Angela Finney said...

I agree, that was a great gift, no one in my life would give me that except me.

I like the oil painting. I think working in both mediums can help you improve in both.

Isn't working fast, from life, considered an artistic virtue?