Friday, April 11, 2008

Drawing on Black

"Salt Cellar"
ACEO Original Colored Pencil Drawing
2.5 x 3.5"
To purchase, please send me a message.
The last two ACEO drawings I have posted were both done on black paper which can be tricky to use as a colored pencil support. So, I thought I'd share with you a few things I've learned to create a more successful drawing:


Test your color choices first before you begin your drawing. You will find that many of the colors you normally use on a white or light support can change characteristics on black. Some take on a cooler cast; some can even appear slightly tinged with green; some blues can almost pop off the page and others disappear.

Usually when I work on black, I will do a grisaille underpainting with a very light color (white, grey, cream, beige, etc) to start the drawing, then will add darker hues later. As you can see in my example, several of the colors (especially red!) will almost disappear into the black paper without the lighter color underneath.

Practice a bit, try an easy subject to start with and be willing to learn how your pencils work on a dark or black support. You'll find that you can create some very interesting and dynamic drawings on black.

Remember, too, that whenever you're using a new support, medium, or technique, be willing to jump in and try. Don't fear the disasters; they happen to everyone - you just may not see them!

4 comments:

Marsha Robinett said...

Wonderful drawing and a great explanation of the technique used. I'm curious, what type of paper did you use.

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

Marsha,
Thanks! These drawings were done on Strathmore 65lb colored art paper (came in a block of several colors); however, I have worked on black Canson mat board and MiTeints paper as well.

Serena Lewis said...

Thanks so much for the helpful information, Rhonda ~

Anonymous said...

i really liked your colours set out as well helped me a bit. im using cartoon characters and they look awesome with a thick black outline although really different to your style